Tuesday 24 September 2013

Another Typospherian with an Olivetti Studio 42-This One Has a Dislodged Spring.

After my last post about my latest acquisition, I received a comment from Davide, who has his own blog filled with typecasts.

http://www.theresnothingtosay.blogspot.it/

He also has a Studio 42, but his model has a small spring near the return lever which doesn't seem to be anchored to anything. I've had a look at his post;

Three new typers!

However, I'm not expert enough to know where this spring should go. Anybody out there who may have a better idea as to where it should fit?

Just spreading the typewriter love, folks.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for highlighting my question with this post!
    I'll try to upload better photographs, to make it easier to recognize the spring.
    Thank you again!
    Davide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one correction: the spring is on the opposite side of the return lever. As you're typing, it is on the right side of the carriage.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Short spring with a wide diameter.... This guy was designed for a minimal amount of movement, with a maximum amount of tension. I"m just guessing as I don't have a Studio 42 to reference, but I would say that this is either part of the backspace lever, margin release, or carriage lock.

    What you'll be looking for is a mechanical part near by with a hole in the middle of it. It won't be as obvious as other spring loaded parts, as this spring probably mounts in the middle of a lever that appears to be in exactly the right place (until you move it, and it flops about) as this spring is simply constructed to move the said lever back into place and offer a level of resistance feedback to the operator.

    (I'll post this over at the other site too).

    ReplyDelete